Monday, October 8, 2007

Jason and the Chicago Marathon



For the last two years, Jason participated in the Chicago Marathon. Behind the participating is a whole lot of training. This year he agreed to give ME (yes me) a break and not do the marathon. It is really hard not having your husband around much of the time, for many different reasons. The last two years were especially hard due to the ages of the children. Anyway, he decided to volunteer at a water station during this year's marathon and his dad agreed to do this with him at the last minute.

It is a rush just to watch the marathon and I have done so twice (once when his brother ran). I did not go the year I was still nursing Miles. Last year I went and I FROZE my rear off!

As you may or may not know, the marathon was canceled for the first time in its 30 year history. Runners who had not reached the halfway point by 11:45 a.m. were rerouted towards Grant Park. This was due to the unusually HOT temps (88 F) and dangers of continuing. 35,867 people participated and 24,933 completed the race. At least 302 people were hospitalized with heat related ailments and unfortunately one man, Chad Schieber, a 35-year-old Michigan police officer died from mitral valve prolapse.

Jason took a ton of photos and if you are interested, you can view the best of the crop here.

2 ripples:

Sarah and Jack said...

I just saw a blurb on the evening news about the death of that man and all the others who were ill.
:-(

Junie Moon said...

I heard about the horrible happenings at the marathon and am so glad your family is okay.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin