Tuesday, January 12, 2010

DIY Mat

Thanks to much encouragement from Sarah, I built up the confidence to try making my own custom mat to hold two 5x7 photos.  I’m happy to report that I was able to do it and it doesn’t look too bad.  It certainly isn’t perfect, but from a distance it is not too bad at all. 

20100112

I found this 11x14 frame at Target, instead of having to wait for them to go on sale at Kohls.  I think the price would probably be similar if I had.  It matches the other frames perfectly.  I thought I had bought a small piece of mat board at Hobby Lobby, but had actually picked up a piece of illustration board.  No matter, it still looks ok.

I just measured the openings out on the back of the board using my clear plastic quilting ruler.  Remember, measure twice, cut once.  Then used an exactoknife along the straight edge of the ruler to make the cuts.  I spent as much time as needed to make each cut, not rushing things and making sure to get the best corners possible.

And her is the final arrangement.  At least until I decide it needs some more tweaking.  Such as, maybe it could use some layering…

 20100112-2

1 ripples:

Sarah and Jack said...

I knew you could do it! Awesome. :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin