Friday, October 19, 2007

Somethings Missing

It's been strangely quiet around our town lately. It is a little spooky, like something has been deleted from our environment.

What is it?

It is the trains. Grayslake has a few train lines running through it close to residential areas. I don't know the details, but they have been working on getting laws passed to silenced the train horns at crossings in town. I now see "no horn" signs up at the crossings. The mandate must have gone through.

It is weird. I'd think I'd be excited. I used to hate it. But now I feel a little sad. At least we still have the trains. The kids love them and I have learned a little about the different types of cars through their books. When we used to hear the horn the kids would perk up and inform me there was a train going through.

Well, I guess I could get used to it. I will probably sleep better.

1 ripples:

Mrs.Kwitty said...

I was nodding my head as I read your post--living right on Lake Superior we had the foghorns that get activated during foggy or stormy weather and a few years ago they had a big to-do by people who didn't like the noise and ended up turning them off. I really miss it. Funny. At least the boats still blast their horns so the bridge will lift--and the bridge answers, so we aren't totally noise free.
Smiles.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin