Tuesday, May 13, 2008

How Does My Garden Grow?


The kids had a picnic! Notice Miles' veggies tossed about behind him. He is actually usually a big veggie eater. In fact we have been contemplating becoming vegetarians (not strict though) and having him join us but still have meat for Ella.


I am very proud of myself for preparing the soil. I'm not sure if I did it right. I pulled the weeds best I could. There were some small trees which had strong roots. Then I turned the top of the soil over a lot, added peat moss and turned it into the top of the soil, then added a substance which prevents germination and also fertilizes what has germinated. I turned that over in the soil as well.

My little helper complete with her own garden gloves. At least hers don't have holes like mine!


At Walmart there wasn't much of a veggie selection and I ended up just getting three cucumber plants for the garden. I also did get some sweet basil, cilantro and a jalapeño pepper plant. Those went in my herb garden container for easy access from the kitchen. I will be on the lookout at other store for other veggies. I'm very worried about our poor beans. Our cat Velvet ate off all of their leaves and they aren't looking real great. The tomatoes I grew indoors are just tiny and I hope they don't get trampled by a small grasshopper outside! :-D

Front to back: tomatoes, cucumbers, beans


Clockwise from left: sweet basil, cilantro, jalapeño pepper plant


The sweet basil smells GLORIOUS!


In reality I've never considered myself much of a gardener. I think my parents are wonderful gardeners and I remember them having a huge vegetable garden out back when I was younger. Both of my grandparents were good gardeners too. I remember my mom's mom's garden. It was literally the size of a large house lot. She worked so hard to tend that garden. They were farmers as well (thus they must have had some talent in the agricultural field).
~
Do you have a garden? I remember C planted some seeds in eggshells. I'd love to see other gardens. Post yours on your blog and let me know that you have!

2 ripples:

Crystal said...

I always grow herbs and can't wait for the day I can have a big veggie garden. All my gardening at the moment consists of making our yard look nice for when we sell in a year or two. :) Looks good Kristi!

Nilsa S. said...

If I had a yard, I'd like to think I'd take a try at gardening. Instead, I have window plants. Though, if we move somewhere with better sun exposure, I'll definitely do the herb garden thing. What fun!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin